cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Clelland <iclell...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Remove VERSION file from repos
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2014 20:37:15 GMT
On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Lorin Beer <lorin.beer@gmail.com> wrote:

> the version scripts are just about the only thing about the platform
> scripts that are simple enough to rewrite trivially.

Which is why the Android version scripts are literally

console.log("whatever_the_version_was_when_we_updated_this_file")

We have a doc on this (
https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/storing-repo-versions-design.md)
-- I had suggested a year ago that we modify all of the platforms to just
have their scripts echo a hard-coded value (Thread:
http://callback.markmail.org/thread/zepwjgokwwgdhuys).

I still think the proposal makes sense; there's no need to have any
complicated logic for a thing that should be changed once per release, and
shouldn't ever need to be generated at run-time.

Ian

> Leveraging a
> rewrite/refactor of the version script into a total rewrite of platform
> level scripts == 'lulz'
>

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Jesse <purplecabbage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > the non-cordova cli path depends on node to install/uninstall plugins
> >
> > @purplecabbage
> > risingj.com
> >

> > On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Of course I considered nodejs, but no, this is for the non-cordova CLI
> > > path, which does not need another dependency.

> This
> the

> lorin.beer@gmail.com>

> purplecabbage@gmail.com>