cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Santana <csantan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [iOS] Using workspaces
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2014 17:05:02 GMT
Shaz I have being looking into CocoaPods as an alternative to package
cordova.

One use case that I have seeing recently among users is that they will
start with a Native iOS App, then use Cocoapods to add functionality, from
this point they deal with a single workspace and two sub projects, one for
the App and for Pods.

Then they decide that web development is cool :-), and they want to add
Cordova Web View to their App so they can start implementing new features
using that Web View.

I was thinking that the answer will be for them to add the "Cordova Pod"
Edit Podfile
platform :ios, '7.0'
pod 'Cordova', '~> 4.0'

then do
pod install

And that's it they have a Cordova Web View.

Now the question is the plugins, which is the part I'm still thinking thru.

One option is to create a Cordova Project with plugins, and then can a
command "cordova createPod" that creates a cordova pod that you install
into your app.
Another option is that a Plugin can reference a cordova pod for ios plugin
functionality", then this pod can be register we can register the core apis
as sub pods under "Cordova" like "Cordova/Device" ~> "4.0"

I think we can start by small steps, first cordova create to create a
CocoaPod workspace with two subprojects "App" and "Pods" and then anything
related to Cordova gets added to the "Pods" project, leaving the "App"
project untouch for the developer to do all their native development and
xcode settings for their App untoch.

As you can see I have a vague idea on how this will work but will be
awesome if others give input.

--
Carlos Santana
<csantana23@gmail.com>