cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Frederico Galvão <frederico.gal...@pontoget.com.br>
Subject Re: <input type=“number”> working in Chrome but not on Cordova app. Samsung device using KitKat
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2014 19:15:16 GMT
It is a known issue on most Samsumg android devices, plus some HTC and some
other edgy cases.
There is no way around it to make the number input work on the default
software keyboard from those devices. I've done extensive research on
those, and unfortunately there is really no way around to make it work on
default keyboards. There are some alternative ways to deal with it:
- Ask the user to install another software keyboard, like Swiftkey;
- Change all input type="number" to type="text" so that everyone can have a
valid experience (but most of the users will not have the best experience
they could have).
- Make it configurable to the user somehow, so that he can switch between
text and number input types if he needs to (if he has a faulty device).

The third alternative deserves a reminder: you can't change the type of an
html input after it's been created, so if you want to switch between the
types, you have to recreate the input altogether.

--

*Frederico Galvão*

Diretor de Tecnologia

PontoGet Inovação Web