cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <agri...@google.com>
Subject Feedback on "cordova plugin save" & friends
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2014 20:06:14 GMT
Played around with it and it's pretty clear to me that the ability to
record your plugins & platforms in config.xml is a big step up.

I do have some specific comments about the current design though:

- Right now the plugin save saves all plugins to config.xml rather than
just explicitly-installed plugins.
  - For the shrinkwrap use-case, you actually do want to record dependent
plugins and their versions though, so it's still important for this case.
- Plugin restore doesn't work for locally installed plugins. e.g. try it
with mobilespec. It won't remember to look in the right spot for plugins.
- Really don't like that <feature> is used, since that could be confused by
the tools with the runtime config.xml's <feature> tag. Instead, I think the
syntax PGBuild uses would be better (minus the gap:)
http://docs.build.phonegap.com/en_US/configuring_plugins.md.html
  - Note there's a PR for adding <param> (CB-7142)

When I was playing with it, I found that I wished that is would just run
every time I added a plugin, rather than having to run the command
explicitly afterwards. Maybe we could add an environment variable that will
enable it while we're still experimenting? Then, too, we could make
platform / plugin restore a part of `prepare`.

Don't have the intention of picking up work on this in the near term, but
wanted to at least share the feedback since I did play around with it.