cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Kinard <cmarc...@gmail.com>
Subject remotely loaded pages
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2014 17:23:34 GMT
I've been getting occasional questions about users trying to use remotely-loaded (non-local)
HTML pages with Cordova (in the webview, not InAppBrowser), and still expecting to have access
to the plugin APIs (camera is a popular one). My response so far is: "This is an unsupported
configuration, because Cordova was not designed for this and the community does no testing
of this configuration. While it can work in some circumstances, it is not recommended nor
supported."

My definition of "unsupported" is not that it is incapable, but that we don't claim that it
is supposed to work, and more importantly, we won't actively fix user-submitted defects on
this topic.

The main concern I have on this is same origin policy, and matching the remotely-served cordova.js
with the locally-installed native Cordova platform to avoid version mismatch.

Do you think I'm out in-the-weeds on this, or do you agree?

If you agree, what would you think of a blurb in cordova-docs somewhere that captures this
gist?

Thanks for your feedback!