cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Treggiari, Leo" <leo.treggi...@intel.com>
Subject cordova plugin save
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2014 18:41:03 GMT
I'm new to this mailing list.  I work on the Intel(r) XDK which is another IDE which supports
the creation of hybrid apps using Cordova plugins.

I'm having trouble figuring out what the proposed 'cordova plugin save' command does.  Is
there an up-to-date 'spec' that explains the goals of the command and the implementation?

A couple of things that I have read in the mailing list concern me.

There is mention of saving information in config.xml.  The usage of config.xml is somewhat
of a mystery to me:
-  Who owns the file?  Does the user own and edit it?  Do certain Cordova CLI commands edit
it?  What are the valid entries?
-  Is it treated differently by different platform builds - e.g. iOS vs. Android?  Is it treated
differently by Cordova CLI vs. other Cordova IDEs which directly use Cordova CLI or not -
e.g. PhoneGap build?
-  If Cordova CLI wants to store 'project-level' metadata, is this a good place to put it?
 If the answer to the first question above is not well defined, or the answer to the second
question is that different 'things' are using it differently, then config.xml may not be a
good place to be putting new metadata.

There is a mention of plugin "restoring" and making the plugins directory optional.  This
relates to the issue of plugin 'versions'.  Now, when a user executes 'cordova plugin add',
plugin sources are fetched and the version of the plugin that was added is fixed until the
user explicitly removes and re-adds it.  Is 'cordova plugin save' & 'restore' suggesting
a new version management model?  E.g. if I add a plugin without a specific version suffix
and 'restore' it later, I may not get the same version, right?

If there is a 'spec', I should be able to answer these questions myself.

Thanks,
Leo Treggiari