cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Lunev, Serge" <serge.lu...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Intel XDK == Cordova IDE?
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2014 17:15:13 GMT
Thanks for this note, Andrew! And I guess it's time to introduce myself at this point.

My name is Serge Lunev and I am engineering manager for Intel XDK Andrew is talking about
below. We did make a lot of changes to align ourselves from the proprietary AppMobi technology
to Cordova and plan to continue doing so. Some other people from Intel XDK team (e.g. Leo
Treggiari) are also on this list.

So if you are interested to learn more about Intel XDK - feel free to let us know. And we
certainly look forward for increasing the connection and collaboration with Cordova project
:)

Best,
Serge
@lunarserge

-----Original Message-----
From: agrieve@google.com [mailto:agrieve@google.com] On Behalf Of Andrew Grieve
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:01 AM
To: dev
Subject: Intel XDK == Cordova IDE?

In case this is news to anyone else, Intel's XDK has been morphing into a Cordova IDE over
the past year (from their custom runtime, which they now call "legacy build system").

Here's their overview:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/html5/articles/using-the-cordova-for-android-ios-etc-build-option

Here's my tldr version:

It's an IDE built with CEF that:
- Uses Brackets as its editor (including it's live preview feature that enables live code
changes via DevTools API)
- Uses Ripple to emulate within the app
- Includes a visual UI designer that works it's own UI framework "App Framework" (https://github.com/01org/appframework)
- Uses its own cloud build system to build for each platform (for free)
  - Also supports building chrome apps and web apps
  - Supports using Crosswalk
- Has a developer companion app call App Preview
(https://software.intel.com/en-us/html5/app-preview-overview)
- Has a very nice Cordova Plugin UI
(https://software.intel.com/en-us/html5/articles/adding-third-party-plugins-to-your-xdk-cordova-app)
- Supports remote update of your assets via AppMobi
(http://docs.appmobi.com/index.php/live-update/)
- NOT open source, and they haven't been involved at all in Cordova development (besides the
Crosswalk team helping us out a bit)
  - Haven't read through their developer license agreement, but we be curious to know if there's
any notables there.

Some other things:

Relevant to minSdk <preference>
https://software.intel.com/en-us/html5/articles/cordova-for-android-build-options