cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ray Camden <rayca...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: What's Stopping us From Independent Platform Releases
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2014 21:17:11 GMT
I'll echo the issues I raised before. If the docs say that so and so is supported, but it is
for edge and not the current release, I think that would be a huge mistake. I consider myself
a pretty good Cordova dev and I think even I would be confused as well. (I almost never run
anything but the released version so I can be sure what I blog, help folks with, etc, matches
the released version.)

Please, please, please do not do this.

Why can't the docs simply be updated w/o updating the bits? Is that really the case? If so,
fix *that* bug.

From: Steven Gill <stevengill97@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 3:59 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Re: What's Stopping us From Independent Platform Releases

I still feel it would be a mistake to stop versioning our docs. It would
confuse our users.  It is a norm for projects to have docs associated to
specific versions.

I think docs should be versioned when the cli gets released and
docs.cordova.io should always point to edge. This would address the
splashscreen docs not being live even though the feature has shipped.

This use case can also handle us introducing breaking changes (ex: android
4.0) and not have to keep older docs on edge.

Annotating with "supported in android 3.6.0+" can start looking very ugly
over time if we have lots of annotations all over the place.

As for previous versions, bugs most likely won't be fixed unless it is
something someone volunteers to do. I don't see much value in updating old
versions of docs. But it is worth still having them available for people
using those versions.

I'd like to hear what others think about this?

Both proposals are described at