cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joel Jeske <jje...@hand.com>
Subject Window 8 Embedded Webview
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2014 22:08:24 GMT
Hello Cordova,

I want to ask about using an embedded web view on Window 8.

Window 8 Store Apps can, of course, be configured to use HTML/Javascript directly within the
application as opposed to within a web view. However, that requires that the Javascript follows
Microsoft's rules. The particular rule that is a pain to me is forcing the strict use of local
content.

I have a Cordova application that supports iOS, Android, and WP8. It is configured use content
from an external URL. This approach fails when it comes to Windows 8 because Microsoft does
not allow the use of external content. This rule makes sense only because the application
is exposed to WinJS which has higher privileges relative to standard in-browser JavaScript.
In the context of Cordova, most developers do not use Windows 8-specific Javacript because
they are building a cross platform application. If they were not building a cross platform
app, they would/should simply create an Javascript based Windows 8 Store application.

Finally, I come to my question: Why did Cordova decide to use the built-in HTML/Javascript
project as opposed to a XAML/C# project and using a WebView? Not only would that fix my issue,
but would also fix all the annoying security issues when using JavaScript in the RT environment
(like direct use of `element.innerHTML`).

Are there other possible solutions to my issue that I am overlooking?

Note: A possible solution to my problem is similar to the one discussed in this thread. http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cordova-dev/201312.mbox/%3C52561cb60e0d4f31927fd4637bf846c9@DM2PR03MB366.namprd03.prod.outlook.com%3E<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cordova-dev/201312.mbox/<52561cb60e0d4f31927fd4637bf846c9@DM2PR03MB366.namprd03.prod.outlook.com>>

Thanks,
Joel Jeske

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and privileged material
for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email
(or any attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any
copies of this email and any attachments thereto.