cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Soref <jso...@blackberry.com>
Subject missing documentation and missing major version bump
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2014 19:19:50 GMT
Hi.

Broke a number of people. While there was a pull request and a bug, there
wasn't a major version bump.

People using npm w/ grunt-cordovacli in a continuous integration setting
w/ reasonable package.json settings went from having a working build
system to having a totally broken one.

Because suddenly:

cordova run --someblackberryspecificoption
… didn't result in that option arriving at the blackberry10 build.

I don't object to progress, and nopt is definitely an improvement over
everything else I've had to use, however, it's pretty bad that we didn't
bump our major version number.

Can we consider rolling backwards that feature (possibly just releasing an
older version w/ a newer minor version number) and then releasing the
feature w/ a new version number.

Currently we have 3.5.0-0.2.7-dev

I'd naively propose 4.0 — just for two things:
1. feature: nopt.
2. Dropping semver.

We can go to a system of just releasing 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, every month or
two… (I think we sort of discussed doing something like this on Friday,
I'm just asking that we jump to it now, because the nopt change was a
major api break for real customers — and it decouples our 4.0 from any
platform 4.0s immediately — since those will arrive w/ a cordova 5.0 or
later number).