cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bugs handling name field in cordova-platforms -- was: Re: New project <PATH> vs. <NAME>
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2014 15:07:35 GMT
On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Josh Soref <jsoref@blackberry.com> wrote:

> Chuck Lantz wrote:
> >The problem does seem to tie to platform implementations.
>
> >we have been seeing issues with both Android and iOS failing to compile
> >if the name of the app
> >(<name></name> in config.xml not the project) contains unicode characters.
>
> I've already filed one bug about the fact that things like "default" don't
> work in Android. It wasn't fixed well, in fact, I don't think they even
> fixed my original case.

Did this actually break for something.default (and I mean the literal
string something.default)? I thought the bug was ridiculously vague and
would be impossible to close as it was written.

> >The reason this is special is it shows up on device home pages.
> >For iOS this appeared to present because the app name is used for the
> >underlying native project name.
>
> >For Android, it looks like it's tied to a class name that is generated.
>
> Yep

The Activity Name is the Class Name, the only way you can have
internationalized names is by using Android Internationalization by using
the AndroidManifest.xml and res/values/strings.<country_code>.xml.  This is
also a bug with the Android project generation tool, since it does the
exact same thing.  This is one of the major things preventing the platforms
from being a build artifact.  We really fail at doing i8n well, and it
would be awesome if our plugin was rethought to manipulate resources
instead of what it does now, which could have easily been done in JS.