cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Android: add support of min/max/target SDK to config.xml
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2014 02:46:28 GMT
On 11 Jul 2014 00:22, "Frederico Galvão" <frederico.galvao@pontoget.com.br>
wrote:

> Are you guyus against the actual implementation being suggested or are you
> against the idea as a whole?

A bit of both, assuming you didn't add this feature. See below.

> If the answer to the above is "I +1 the idea but -1 the current
> implementation being suggested", then ignore the rest of this message, and
> I'll say that I'm looking foward to this feature being released (although
> it's not a showstopper for me, I'm used to messing with the native shell
> after Cordova has spit it out for me).
>
> First I'll state that I agree that in no reasonable situation targetSdk
> should NOT be equal to the most updated(Android) and suported(Cordova)
> version.

Awesome. Can this have an error appear when users break this?  Like for
example, target a min API below 10, or mismatch the target?

> Unless you intercept ant/gradle at a fundamental time in the build process
> and force a certain sdkVersion (be it min, max, or target), Cordova
already
> can't protect itself against me changing those options on my
> AndroidManifest.xml. By the way, this is exactly what I've been doing for
> year and a half now, even with cordova 3.x.
> So, if you mean a -1 to this trying to protect the app from building while
> targetting "wrong" versions, I'll disagree with you.

Many of our users don't fiddle with AndroidManifest.xml until they have to
release the app.

> However, I may take the need and consequences of this feature differently
> than others because I keep and maintain the platform folders in VCS
> (against recommendations from the docs) and track changes to it every time

Everyone does, because the platforms aren't build artifacts yet. I see this
feature not really helping make that happen without more thought at the
very least.

> a plugin is installed or a new version of Cordova is released, just
because
> the CLI alongside config.xml can't handle all the changes I need done on
> the native side as of today.

Where does it come short? I can say where I think it does, but this would
actually help us out a bit.  Your feature may make sense if it was more
strict in how it is used, so I'm not as against it as I was initially.
(Remember, I'm supposed to be on PTO, and I have a prepaid with no tether
and a crap WiFi connection to peck this out on.)

> > On 10 Jul 2014 19:58, bowserj@gmail.com wrote:
> > >

> > > Completely disagree.  All this will do is make things not build and
> > confuse users. It's our job to try and abstract this out and when we let
> > users control this, their apps are terrible.  This feature is harmful
and
> > shouldn't be included.
> >
> > Decided that I should elaborate. If you see a legacy menu on a PhoneGap
App