cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject 4.0.x, efcedabe, Patch-Bombing and good faith
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2014 18:42:05 GMT
Due to the recent changes, I propose that we revert everything back to
a prior commit on this branch.  Given that we use the interfaces to
define the API for the ThirdParty WebViews used by Crosswalk and
others, the irony of reverting is should be clear.  The fact is that
we can't have people dumping hundreds of commits that totally destroy
months of work that we've done, including all the consensus-building
that was done.  This totally undermines the feeling that everyone is
contributing in good faith.

Honestly, if I even remotely tried to do the same thing, I know that
many people on this project would have major objections to this, so I
don't know why people are being silent about this now.  We can't have
hundreds of commits just dumped into any branch of the ASF repos,
since we have no easy way to do a revert of this.  We have no --force,
and I'm probably going to have to fork and delete the 4.0.x branch.
I'm going to do this after the conference call, but I'm extremely
upset about the recent changes.

We can't just say "shit will be broken anyway" and use it as an excuse
to break other people's work.  I honestly don't know what to say about
this at this point, since we've never had to do something like this
before.  I'm extremely frustrated at the fact that I've been ignored
every time I've raised concerns on this list and that some of us are
held to higher standards than others.

I really hope we can talk about this on the call, because this is
beyond unacceptable.  I'm not sure what was supposed to be
accomplished, and why talking about features is some sort of unknown
barrier that we're trying to avoid.  At this point, there's no way we
could even remotely vote on a major release.

How can we work past this so that we can actually work on this project again?

Joe