cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Android: add support of min/max/target SDK to config.xml
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2014 20:01:26 GMT
On 10 Jul 2014 19:13, "Jesse" <purplecabbage@gmail.com> wrote:

> this element is used to specify the API Level,*not* the version number of
> the SDK

So, if we set the target and max API to 10, we can't build Cordova on
Android, because it's targeted at 19.  That's the danger.  We currently use
reflection to get around this so we can target the latest and let the
lowest be the API we support.

> +1
> max simply ensures that some new untested and potentially incompatible API
> level is not used. Where is the danger Joe?

See above.

> We just need to be sure that cordova-android@X.X.X somehow specifies what
> API levels it supports. Is this there?
> If it makes sense to exist in the Android SDK, then I think it also makes
> sense to expose as configurable.

Completely disagree.  All this will do is make things not build and confuse
users. It's our job to try and abstract this out and when we let users
control this, their apps are terrible.  This feature is harmful and
shouldn't be included.

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/uses-sdk-element.ht

http://docs.build.phonegap.com/en_US/configuring_preferences.md.html#_