cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Gill <stevengil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What's Stopping us From Independent Platform Releases
Date Sat, 26 Jul 2014 00:24:13 GMT
We should give some notice about version change since some downstream dists
or tools might rely on cadver-semver.

I can write a blog post next week about it.

We also need to be very clear about which versions are pinned to cli.
Communicate that to our users in tools release blog posts and maybe some
config file?

What about removing platform specific stuff from cli? If we manage to dumb
down the cli now, it will hopefully remove potential compatability issues
later for platforms and cli. That might matter if we want to preserve older
clis supporting newer platforms.

Summarizing version changes at releases (if I understood this correctly)
- Platforms release independently.
- A tools release follows a platform release. Pinning the new platform. If
the platform was a major release, cli version takes a major bump
(ex Cordova-android goes to 4.0.0, cli goes to 6.0.0). If minor or patch
release for platform, cli version reflects that (ex android 4.1.1, cli
6.5.1)
- cli version will increase at a much faster pace than platforms. That's
fine and expected. This is because it has to take changes from all
platforms.