cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Carlos Santana <csantan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to provide more files from plugin.xml for project and native?
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2014 15:38:33 GMT
On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org> wrote:

> First, the easy one: Certainly you should have a way to drop files into
> platforms/ios/HelloCordova, and I think <source-file> is probably the way
> to go.  The root seems to be the plugin folder by default, so you may need
> to prefix with "../.." right now.  Also seems hacky, not sure if there is a
> better way.

<source-file> doesn't work for my use case, I'm already using for
libraries, frameworks, and files that I want to be available inside the
Mobile App.
I want the file to be inside the XCode project, but NOT inside the Mobile
App. It's a file that I need from xcode build script

> For the other two: /merges and /hooks, I really don't think we should be
> adding files into there.  I consider those application assets, along with
> www/ and application config.xml, which we also should not be directly
> modifying from plugins.

I think plugins should be allow to add files to any place in the cordova
project/application.
Or we can design a new type of "plugin" a plugin that deals with cordova
project tooling.
I like things simple, so if I can manage to create one plugin for my
enterprise product, it will be easy for end user starting with cordova to
add and remove one type of plugin, and then the plugin will take care of
both what runs on the device and any tooling requirements for those features

I'm building a plugin that will add to the existing cordova project
excluding www/ (I don't want to touch this one). For www I think I will
have "www" templates they can use when the do "cordova create" but this are
just samples, if they already have an existing app I want an easy for them
to get necessary files for my plugin to work, and some files are to be
edited by them "merges", and other are hooks that need to run in prepare

I want to add files to /merges/ /platforms and /hooks that are only
applicable to my plugin and not overwriting any user files

> For hooks -- there is a PR outstanding to just go ahead and add plugin
> hooks.  Perhaps you would like to help review and comment on that to get it
> landed asap?

I will take a look, but I don't think it solves my use case, basically I'm
asking for this function to be added to be done in a generic way in
plugin.xml, versus having a mega_plugin_install hooks scripts that kind
does the same thing is a custom brittle way vs relying on the the cordova
community tooling

> For merges -- I kinda think we should have plugins on par with apps, and
> just have a merges/ folder for plugins.  However, merges/ is probably just
> generally a bad idea, and I suspect you can do a better job yourself by
> writing hooks/ instead.

Totally got blind here I don't know what you mean by "have plugins on par
with apps" and "merges/ folder for plugins"

I'm also looking on having a "/append/" and "/prepend/" in addition of what
we have today "merges/" but probably that's a new mailing thread

--
Carlos Santana
<csantana23@gmail.com>