cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Koudritsky <kam...@google.com>
Subject Proposal: remove platform versions from platfroms.js
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:31:48 GMT
Currently a release of our cli tools always downloads the same version of
platform files which is hard-coded incordova/platforms.js
<https://github.com/apache/cordova-lib/blob/master/cordova-lib/src/cordova/platforms.js>.
This makes it impossible to release new versions of platforms that would be
usable with the same version of CLI.

As the next step in decoupling platform releases I would like to remove the
hard-coded version in platform.js and let the CLI to download the latest
platform version available on npm by default.

Projects that need to use an older version can use either
cordova platform add <platform>@<version>
or for even more control
cordova platform add /path/to/local/checkout

Known issues:
 - platforms before 3.5.0 are not (yet) published on npm.
 - It will hit the network for every "platform add" that has no version
explicitly specified. In most cases the reply from npm will be an "HTTP 304
- Not Modified".
 - We'll have to add in some sort of check that the version of CLI that you
have works with the platform. E.g. current tools might not work with
cordova-5.0. In than case we can display an error that instructs the user
to either upgrade CLI or specify the platform version explicitly.

What do you think?