cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-seg...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: recent tools update, Splash screen support
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2014 06:15:04 GMT
I volunteer to test splash/icons support one more time and update the docs where it is required.

* The old documentation refers to PG Build. Cordova implementation is based on this idea,
but there are some differences, for example we don't support gap: prefix and platform attribute,
platform specific icons must be placed inside corresponding <platform name=''> element
* We updated icons related docs as part of Cordova icons support implementation, I will double
check that it is still accurate (for example I see that it mentions platform attribute which
is not supported)
* We should update splash screen related docs part (as per our implementation + examples)
* Splash screen plugin and splash screen images support are related but different features.
Core splash screen support by CLI allows replacing default template images which are showed
automatically, where the plugin works on top of this and allows programmatically show/hide
splash screen (pls correct me if I'm wrong).

Thx!
Sergey
-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Camden [mailto:raycamde@adobe.com]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 6:33 AM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: recent tools update, Splash screen support

I'm a bit behind on the recent tooling update so forgive me if this is a dumb question. The
very first item listed is:

Support for splash screens

Which is odd since I thought splash screens had been available for some time now. We've had
an API to hide show them. We've also had documented ways to include them for a while - http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.4.0/config_ref_images.md.html#Icons%20and%20Splash%20Screens

Going into the details in the blog post we see:

CB-3571, CB-2606 support for splashscreens

Ok, so CB-2606 is "Add support for <icon> elements in config.xml". If it relates to
this update, I don't see how, and the blog post doesn't say how it does.

CB-3571 is definitely better: "Add support for <splash> elements in config.xml". But
this isn't documented here:

http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.5.0/config_ref_images.md.html#Icons%20and%20Splash%20Screens

nor here:

http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.5.0/config_ref_index.md.html#The%20config.xml%20File

So while I can guess there is a new <splash> option for config.xml, where would our
users get the specifics?