cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Maxime LUCE <max...@touchify.co>
Subject RE: Android CameraPlugin - App gets killed.
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2014 13:50:41 GMT
Hi,

Yes it's a little out of date but it doesn't launch a separate activity and instead a linked
activity into the cordova one so it should not be killed.

The problem is not only with low memory phones since if you have a lot of apps launched, the
result could be the same.

Preserving the state is a really hard to solve problem since we must save the browser state
into memory but we don't have access to the low level api for that.

I'm not sure it makes apps look more like cordova apps.

I think we should more quickly search for a workaround for this issue because it's a really
big problem for in production apps. We can't rely on this plugin in production.

Cordialement.

Maxime LUCE
Touchify, CEO

+33 6 28 60 72 34 | skype: maximeluce
maxime@touchify.co | http://touchify.co

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Joe Bowser [mailto:bowserj@gmail.com]
Envoyé : jeudi 10 juillet 2014 15:16
À : dev
Objet : Re: Android CameraPlugin - App gets killed.

No.  We can't just adopt this or own the camera because of these reasons:

1. Looks out of date
2. Has UI elements that we'd have to maintain 3. Does not actually solve the problem (Activities
in the background can still die) 4. Makes apps more obviously look like Cordova apps.

We should instead fix the general problem of preserving state when starting and stopping an
app, which is a harder problem, but a more fundamental one.

Also, this is an edge case with extremely low end phones and/or extremely high end cameras,
so the third party plugin approach may make sense.

Sorry for the short response, my only connection to the internet at the moment is a Verizon
prepaid phone.