cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-seg...@microsoft.com>
Subject switch to nodejs scripts for windows platforms
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2014 11:05:11 GMT
Currently on WP8 and Windows8 platform specific scripts (platform/cordova/lib) are written
on cscript and powershell. On other platforms, Android/Blackberry as an example, we use nodejs.
Are there any specific reason we don't use nodejs?

I see the following advantages of switching to nodejs:

1.       More familiar api, ability to share code across platforms

2.       Promises +module loader

3.       Consistence across platforms

4.       Some platform specific functionality could be moved from LIB to platforms (like LIB/src/cordova/metadata/blahblah_parser.js
update_from_config )

Disadvantages:

1.       nodejs requirement (currently you can build/run from platform folder using corresponding
bat files w/o nodejs installed)

2.       Requires implementation and regression testing

Thx!
Sergey