cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-seg...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: switch to nodejs scripts for windows platforms
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2014 15:26:08 GMT
Sounds good, Jesse feel free to assign some of those issues to me, will happy to help with
them.

-----Original Message-----
From: purplecabbage [mailto:purplecabbage@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 6:47 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Re: switch to nodejs scripts for windows platforms

Yes, this is on the roadmap, at an extremely low priority.
There are plenty of issues in jira I would like tackled before this.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 2, 2014, at 4:05 AM, "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-segreb@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Currently on WP8 and Windows8 platform specific scripts (platform/cordova/lib) are written
on cscript and powershell. On other platforms, Android/Blackberry as an example, we use nodejs.
Are there any specific reason we don't use nodejs?

> I see the following advantages of switching to nodejs:
>
> 1.       More familiar api, ability to share code across platforms
>
> 2.       Promises +module loader
>
> 3.       Consistence across platforms
>
> 4.       Some platform specific functionality could be moved from LIB to platforms (like
LIB/src/cordova/metadata/blahblah_parser.js update_from_config )

> Disadvantages:
>
> 1.       nodejs requirement (currently you can build/run from platform folder using corresponding
bat files w/o nodejs installed)