cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: Cordova strategy for Hosted Apps
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2014 16:31:07 GMT
Well, here's what we know. Most developers use Chrome Devtools, Webkit
Inspector, IE Developer Tools, and, increasingly, Firefox Devtools to build
their apps. They treat Cordova less as an authoring env and more as a
publishing step to test/qa. This is an important distinction to
acknowledge.

Anything we can do as a project to reduce friction in the authoring
experience is good for our developer community and Cordova. The team I'm
with is on board with this mission and we are working towards it.

So why aren't we working on it? Well, we are. But not directly. We ran into
architectural issues with the generated cordova.js code that needed
attention first. (Its too big and not really friendly to good web
publishing practices.) We're close to addressing that but it will require a
great deal of testing. With cordova.js cleaned up we'll be revisiting our
tooling to abstract out common functionality. Creating a project, for
example, requires the entire cordova-lib so we need to refactor that stuff
out, so we can ultimately create the smallest, most isolated, discreet, and
intelligent builds for the browser possible.

The project that started Cordova had a stated goal to enable web
development. I view the 'browser as a platform' as work towards that
original goal. I can't speak to Cordova project strategy overall, no one
can, but I can advocate a direction where we make publishing to the web a
seamless and supported part of the Cordova workflow. If you want an idea to
succeed in open source ultimately you'll have to sponsor some sort of
development so hopefully Microsoft agrees. =)