cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Grieve <agri...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: adding platforms to npm for dependency sanity
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2014 16:07:00 GMT
On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Brian LeRoux <b@brian.io> wrote:

> Andrew, you misunderstand. I am talking about bundling platforms directly
> as dependencies of the CLI.
>
> A trivial example:
>
> CLI
> '-ios
>
> Wherein, CLI declares the precise version of the platform it uses. We could
> wildcard. I don't know that we want or need to do that.
>
> It would have identical semantics to today except the download penalty
> happens up front. (We can remove lazy_load logic. We don't have to maintain
> our own dependency manifests and caches. LESS code: good thing.)

Let me paste the code for doing our own caching for you:

    cordova_npm: function lazy_load_npm(platform) {
        if (!(platform in platforms)) {
            return Q.reject(new Error('Cordova library "' + platform + '"
not recognized.'));
        }
        var pkg = 'cordova-' + platform + '@' + platforms[platform].version;
        return Q.nfcall( npm.load, {cache: path.join(util.libDirectory,
'npm_cache') })
        .then(function() {
            return Q.ninvoke(npm.commands, 'cache', ['add', pkg]);
        }).then(function(info) {
            var pkgDir = path.resolve(npm.cache, info.name, info.version,
'package');
            return pkgDir;
        });
    },

There's really no "amount of code" argument here.

> Adding platforms at a specific version would mean having a specific version
> of the CLI. Yes: this is way better! Explicit dependencies is the best way
> to work w/ the small modules thing.

Bundling platforms with CLI would be like bundling all of the plugins with
CLI, or like bundling every npm module with npm.

Devs need to be able to try out platforms at different versions. We should
not do anything that keeps users clinging to old versions of CLI (e.g. they
do this now because they don't want to update to new platforms)

> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 7:34 PM, Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:14 PM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Here's both flows as I understand them:
> > >
> > > Direct NPM flow:
> > > # Downloads platform source into node_modules
> > > npm install cordova-ios@3.4.0 --save
> > > # Runs the create script and installs plugins to create platforms/ios
> > > cordova platform add ios --path=node_modules/cordova-ios
> > >

> > To be fair, I think with Brian's suggestion, platform add FOO would by
> > default look in node_modules so you wouldn't be explicit about it, and
> also
> > the default cordova project package.json would depend on all the latest
> > versions of each platform, so the flows would actually be:
> > > cordova create Foo && cd Foo
> > > npm install
> > > npm install cordova-ios@3.4 --save
> > > cordova platform add android
> > > cordova platform add ios
> > > # crazy idea? use npm post-install hooks to auto-run create/upgrade so
> > you usually don't need above two lines?
> >
> > Compared to:
> > > cordova create Foo && cd Foo
> > > cordova platform add android
> > > cordova platform add ios@3.4
> >
> > I think #2 is enough better that its not worth changing.
> >

> > > Cordova-to-npm flow (as Mark's implemented):
> > > # Runs "npm cache add cordova-ios", then runs create script from
> > > ~/cache/cordova-ios/bin/create
> > > cordova platform add ios@3.4.0
> > >
> > > - In both flows: we use npm to do all of the heavy lifting
> > > - In both flows: the npm module is cached in your home directory
> > > - In both flows?: we store the plugins & platforms explicitly within
> > > config.xml (Gorkem's added this)
> > > - In flow #1, we have a package.json & a node_modules, in #2 we don't.
> > >
> > > Why put the onus on the user to fetch the platform source when it's as
> > easy
> > > as running "npm cache add" under-the-hood?
> > >

> > > In regards to the idea of using require() on platform scripts instead
> of
> > > subshelling: I think this is tangental to the debate of how to fetch
> the
> > > platform.
> > > In regards to using "npm install" directly when using the plugman
> [...]
but that's not the
> > point

> > the
> platform