cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: GitHub write access
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2014 15:52:23 GMT
On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 7:52 AM, Lisa Seacat DeLuca <ldeluca@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Ah, okay.  I was hoping I'd be able to use the simple GitHub UX to quickly
> push a button to merge in my changes.

Background: The reason that we don't do this is that Apache needs the push
records to establish code provenance definitively.  In a DCVS local commit
content and metadata can be forged, but pushes to ASF Git repositories are
authenticated and the record of which ASF committer pushed what commits gets
captured to our email archives.

Were we to sync from a Github repo, the push record information would be
held
solely by Github and we would have subpoena them to obtain it in the event
of
a dispute -- assuming that Github keeps such information indefinitely and
that
they stay in business forever.

For further explanation, see this thread:

    http://markmail.org/message/rigrcro5jgzfj7ul
    http://s.apache.org/zxn

Marvin Humphrey