cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Koudritsky <kam...@google.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Cordova guidelines part of ContributorWorkflow
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2014 20:09:27 GMT
That was me who added "asi:true" and a bunch of code without semicolons in
cli.js. The short wiki doc we have for a style guide
<https://wiki.apache.org/cordova/StyleGuide#line-19> says that "semicolons
are unnecessary visual entropy ...". This is consistent with the
comma-first style it describes in general, as most comma-first style
evangelists also advocate for using no semicolons except where necessary.

I somewhat took the comma-first style to its extreme in this refactoring of
cli.js. That's the benefit of having no real style guide - there is nothing
to violate - good for innovation in coding style :P
(big sarcasm sign here).

Simple votes on separate style related questions can result in an overall
very strange style and are likely to leave many of us unhappy. Some other
mechanism is needed for coming up with a good coherent style guide. Last
time the issue of style guide was brought up on this list (iirc) people
were reluctant to continue in fear of holy wars and we stayed with the
current status-quo.

Do we feel brave enough this time? Do we want to spend the time on this?
If yes, I'll be glad to start a separate thread with some rules to keep it
from deteriorating into a flame war.