cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Burtoft <>
Subject Cordova strategy for Hosted Apps
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2014 20:02:45 GMT
I have a tool that allows developers to take their web apps and build them into hosted store
apps on Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone (8 and 8.1) called the Web App Template<>.
 Some of the developers who are using the tool would like to see it go cross platform to Android
and iOS, so that the same config file could be used to build hosted apps for the play store
and App store just as it is on Windows.
I love the idea of going cross platform, and when I think cross platform, I think Cordova,
but after looking through some of the documentation, I'm not sure if it's a good fit.  I'm
looking for some direction on these questions:

1.       Does Cordova have "hosted apps" (where the content lives on the server as opposed
to being packaged with the app) in its roadmap?  I realize you can do this today on most platforms
with a redirect, but it seems to be more of a work around rather than a strategy.

2.       Does it make sense to make Cordova device APIs available to hosted apps?  In general
these apps also must function in a browser , so the features would have to be implemented
in a progressive enhancement model.

3.       I see a build for Browser<> on the
Cordova website.  What are the plans for this build?

Can anyone help clarify some of this?

Jeff Burtoft
HTML5 Evangelist \\ Web Technologies
\\ Microsoft