cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ray Camden <rayca...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: More questions on FileSystem directories
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2014 14:44:48 GMT
Yes, I meant that the doc for cacheDirectory implies, at least to me, that the previous entry
(dataDirectorry) will not persist. I think your modification makes sense. Do you want to make
a PR for the doc or should I?

From: julio cesar sanchez <jcesarmobile@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2014 2:19 AM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Re: More questions on FileSystem directories

"If you read this immediately after reading the docs for
cordova.file.dataDirectory, you may think that files there do NOT
survive app restarts."

Which ones, the files from dataDirectory or the files from cacheDirectory?

If you mean dataDirectory, maybe the doc should be something like this:

cordova.file.dataDirectory - Persistent data directory where to put
app-specific data files. (iOS, Android)

cordova.file.cacheDirectory - Directory for cached data files or any
files that your app can re-create easily. The OS may delete these
files when the device runs low on storage, nevertheless, apps should
not rely on the OS to delete files in here. (iOS, Android)

It's a mix from the apple
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/Documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/FileSystemProgrammingGUide/AccessingFilesandDirectories/AccessingFilesandDirectories.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010672-CH3-SW11
and android doc
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/data-storage.html

> According to the docs, cordova.file.cacheDirectory is: "Cached files that should survive
app restarts. Apps should not rely on the OS to delete files in here. "