cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Lisa Seacat DeLuca <ldel...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Rant about translation process
Date Mon, 19 May 2014 13:28:02 GMT
Andrey~

I'm sorry you feel so frustrated with the translation process.  Hopefully
I can address some of your concerns:

We don't have someone who "owns" any/each of the languages.  So no one
goes in an "approves" anything.  This is probably why none of your
translations are marked as approved, Andrey, even when they ARE used for
the Russian documentation when it goes live.  If you would like to take on
that role and own the Russian pieces I'd be more than happy to add you as
a language owner and you can help to mark things as correct.  Right now I
am the only administrator and I do not speak any other languages besides
English so it does not make sense for me to check language translations
for accuracy.
You mentioned there were code pieces that should've been marked as ignore
by the system.  PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU SEE THOSE.  I do my best to
can send me the file  name and a screen shot I will prompty mark them as
ignore.
You mentioned you opened JIRA issues.  Were they not automatically
assigned to me?  If they aren't, please assign them to me so I can view
them.  I didn't realize there were issues open and unassigned, I will do a
better job of going in and checking for translation issues specifically.
You said you have tried to contact me from Crowdin, according to my
Crowdin message inbox I do no have any new messages from you.
To your point about NOT using machine translation I would have to strongly
disagree with that point.  Because of the fact that we are able to ignore
code snippets and have partial translation from individuals and complete
the translations by the machine the translations will make more sense than
a 100% machine translated result which is what you'd get from the browser.
 Having the code snippets adds value.  Additionally, we can't push out
partial translations and if we don't get to 100% then we'll never have any
other languages translated.  By not using machine translation the hard
work from translated will go unnoticed.

To your point about contribution and recognition we have been talking
about how we can recognize translators efforts.  So I'm all ears with
ideas there.  We can include a thank you page on the website perhaps?  Or
when we push out a new release we could mention the names of all of the
translators for a given release.

We really do appreciate the translation help that you and our other
translators volunteer to help with.  I am open to trying new things to
improve the process or even going back to the Crowdin team to suggest
enhancements to their product.  Unfortunately, with the lack of
translators we have, I don't see having 100% user translations being
possible at this time.  But if we can grow in popularity and we all tell a
few of our friends, that is entirely possible and preferred to machine
translation.

Lisa

Lisa Seacat DeLuca
Mobile Engineer | t: +415.787.4589 | ldeluca@apache.org | |