cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Wolf, Michael J" <michaelw...@KPMG.com>
Subject RE: First stab at Next Steps article
Date Thu, 01 May 2014 20:21:58 GMT
Well said.

-----Original Message-----
From: brian.leroux@gmail.com [mailto:brian.leroux@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Brian LeRoux
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2014 4:04 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: Re: First stab at Next Steps article

I get the sense I'm walking into a trap but I feel like its important to keep the story straight
here. Cordova facilitates building apps with web technologies. Our original motivation was
to give web technology a better than fighting chance to overcome fragmented proprietary treadmills.

Apps have an advantageous position because they get installed by a deliberate user action
they enjoy a different security model than the open web. The web sandbox is a feature: it
is not a bug but device apis and to a lesser extent app store distribution are compelling
advantages.

The original intent of the thing now called Cordova was to level the playing field, offer
a future forward polyfill for emergent standards, and to vet those standards in a faster-than-normal
implementation. Ideally apps authored in Cordova run in a browser. (A browser of today or
the future.) These goals for most of the committership have not changed. We're here to help
prove out web standards, paint over proprietary runtimes, to help facilitate web technology
to continue its advancement.

Web standards don't actually have much to do with browser development.
Implementations by vendors participate in the standards process but all these lines are rather
blurry and sort of outside the point. The point is the web is crucial societal infrastructure.
We need to keep the web open, free, and accessible to all.

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Freak Show <freakshow42@me.com> wrote:

> You write software that bypasses web browser security models and
> punches holes in the sandbox.  How does that "support the web"?
>
> That's a good useful thing considering how badly the web "standards"
> people have mismanaged browser development over the last ten years.
>
> On May 1, 2014, at 10:42 AM, Shazron <shazron@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Interesting that you are here to tell us what we are all about. We
> > know what we are about, we've been doing it every day for years.
> > What you are talking about is currently the means, not the goal.

> route
> >>>

> >> No you're not. You're here to bypass browser limitations to provide
> access
> >> to features the web doesn't think you need.  SQLite in the browser
> >> is
> very
> >> useful.  In my case, essential.

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended
solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients
any opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed
in the governing KPMG client engagement letter.