cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Android Plugin API
Date Wed, 28 May 2014 14:06:13 GMT
The execute command exists for security reasons.  We don't want any
methods other than execute exposed to Javascript.  I also prefer this
approach because it is less prone to less catastrophic bugs than using
Java reflection.  We try and only use reflection when we have to.

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 5:50 AM, Erik Jan de Wit <edewit@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When one is writing a plugin for android ATM the api that you have to implement has a
execute method that has the action as a string:
> @Override
>     public boolean execute(String action, JSONArray args, CallbackContext callbackContext)
throws JSONException {
>         if ("beep".equals(action)) {
>             this.beep(args.getLong(0));
>             callbackContext.success();
>             return true;
>         }
>         return false;  // Returning false results in a "MethodNotFound" error.
>     }
> When you have multiple actions this method gets very long, if you compare this with iOS
here you don’t need a method like this you could ‘just’ implement the method directly:
> - (void)beep:(CDVInvokedUrlCommand*)command
>     {
>         CDVPluginResult* pluginResult = nil;
>         NSString* myarg = [command.arguments objectAtIndex:0];
>
>         if (myarg != nil) {
>             pluginResult = [CDVPluginResult resultWithStatus:CDVCommandStatus_OK];
>         } else {
>             pluginResult = [CDVPluginResult resultWithStatus:CDVCommandStatus_ERROR messageAsString:@"Arg
was null"];
>         }
>         [self.commandDelegate sendPluginResult:pluginResult callbackId:command.callbackId];
>     }
> We could do the same thing for android if we use reflection, making the API more similar
and removing all the string test by the user. What do you think?