cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <>
Subject Re: cordova-android LinearLayout vs. RelativeLayout
Date Wed, 14 May 2014 04:43:44 GMT
Ok, here's my opinion on LinearLayout vs RelativeLayout and why I closed
the bug as "Won't Fix"

1. We went with LinearLayout because it was the easiest at the time.  We
experimented with FrameLayout as well, and decided to stick with
LinearLayout because it was the easiest to setup programmatically.
2. CordovaActivity is not intended to be extended or modified in any way.
 If people need a custom activity, they should create their own and
implement CordovaInterface and use the CordovaWebView. That's why we
created the CordovaWebView.

The fact is that we actually use a class called
LinearLayoutSoftKeyboardDetect, which at one point detected when the
keyboard was visible by measuring the screen to see if the WebView and the
Layout containing it resized, but since the keyboard's behaviour changed in
3.x, this has been broken for quite a long time and simply doesn't work.
That being said, changing this would be non-trivial, and I don't see any
benefit in doing another refactor.