cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <mmo...@chromium.org>
Subject CDV New-Style tests, please try them out!
Date Wed, 07 May 2014 16:44:57 GMT
I'm fairly happy with the state of the cordova-labs "new-style" test
harness these days, and I think its time to get the ball rolling on
replacing mobile spec [1].  I would really love to have everyone pitch in
moving tests over if we agree this is a good future.

Jesse and Bryan were nice enough to verify Windows Phone and BB10 (thanks,
guys -- hope I didn't break anything in last 24hrs), and I've been testing
on iOS and Android (though I haven't tried 2.3 yet).

The README.md does a good job explaining it, so go read the TLDR; and try
it out, please:
https://github.com/mmocny/cordova-labs/tree/cdvtest/cordova-plugin-test-framework

(Everything is upstream in cordova-labs, but I linked to my fork since the
github mirror is behind).

Some plugins were ported to new-style around last xmas on a cdvtest branch
(device, device-motion, geolocation, contacts, others?), but have not been
kept current since then.  They are just examples.

Next Steps:
* Create a repo for cordova-plugin-test-harness, and graduate out of
cordova-labs
* Test Android 2.3
* Add a test-harness suite to CI
* Move tests one-by-one out of MS and into plugins (group effort)
* Update docs (website, wiki -- I don't see any references in cordova-docs)
* UI could use some love
* There is no way to toggle tests on/off yet.  The test-harness has a way
to disable entire plugins, but no UI for it, and jasmine has a way to
filter down to a specific spec test, but its not hooked up.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
-Michal

[1]: With plugin / platform breakouts from CLI, Mobile Spec has been harder
and harder to maintain.  The MS "release" have been removed from CI because
of constant version-spec mismatch causing it to constantly be red.  Plugin
Spec tests should match up with plugin versions, which may differ across
even across a single platform version, while currently specs are tied to
CLI versions which we can only usually get away with when testing
tip-of-tree everything.