cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <mmo...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: adding platforms to npm for dependency sanity
Date Wed, 28 May 2014 14:28:53 GMT
I tend to agree with Andrew that it should not be necessary to add
platforms to CLI's package.json dependency list.  I'm not sure that there
is a benefit to doing that, except perhaps that ability to add platforms
when offline and you haven't loaded them previously.

On the other hand, I think users *should* be using the latest platform
versions, and we should continue to make upgrades easier.  And even if we
add explicit package.json dependencies, users could manually override npm
package versions if they really wanted specific versions of platforms.
 Hopefully those would be rare cases.

Also, if you upgrade CLI, we would not automatically update all platforms
for existing projects, it would only affect newly created ones.

So: I think adding platforms as deps to CLI isn't the end of the world, but
I don't see the benefit either..

-Michal