cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: First stab at Next Steps article
Date Thu, 01 May 2014 20:04:15 GMT
I get the sense I'm walking into a trap but I feel like its important to
keep the story straight here. Cordova facilitates building apps with web
technologies. Our original motivation was to give web technology a better
than fighting chance to overcome fragmented proprietary treadmills.

Apps have an advantageous position because they get installed by a
deliberate user action they enjoy a different security model than the open
web. The web sandbox is a feature: it is not a bug but device apis and to a
lesser extent app store distribution are compelling advantages.

The original intent of the thing now called Cordova was to level the
playing field, offer a future forward polyfill for emergent standards, and
to vet those standards in a faster-than-normal implementation. Ideally apps
authored in Cordova run in a browser. (A browser of today or the future.)
These goals for most of the committership have not changed. We're here to
help prove out web standards, paint over proprietary runtimes, to help
facilitate web technology to continue its advancement.

Web standards don't actually have much to do with browser development.
Implementations by vendors participate in the standards process but all
these lines are rather blurry and sort of outside the point. The point is
the web is crucial societal infrastructure. We need to keep the web open,
free, and accessible to all.