cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Andrey Kurdumov <kant2...@googlemail.com>
Subject Rant about translation process
Date Fri, 16 May 2014 14:27:54 GMT
In spare time I translate Cordova docs to Russian and found that do that in
efficient way is much harder then it should be.

My main pain points is machine translation and the lack of incentive to
support translation of docs in Crowin.
a) Please don't use machine translation. It is create awful translation
which in no way not looks like Russian text. Reading that text is probable
doable task, but I think anybody who don't know English could use tools in
their browser for machine translation. IE and Chrome has great tools for
that. That's from user perspective, and that's the reason why I start
translating to Russian myself, I just could not read that crap which was
produced by Bing.
b) Crowdin has great abilities which could help translating large docs
easier. It should really help manage translation process. But looks like
Cordova does not have any translation process except using machine
translation. When doing manual translation I spotted some issues when text
which should be locked from translation not locked, and vice versa, some
code in examples was translated and locked from translation later on. I
report these issues about month ago on JIRA, these issues are still there.
c) Since machine translation used for translating, and used in automated
way, as a regular translator without admin access to project, I have no way
to track progress of my work and what's left because almost every time you
left project for long time when you comeback you have everything translated
and you have to read whole docs again to find spot which was translated
automatically.

I not sure what are current state of other languages, but if translation
process could be adjusted to be less destructive for manual translation. I
take this probably too personal because my small progress meter just jump
from 81% to 99%, my reward meter is broken, sigh..., and I have to reread
whole docs again, since new text could be added to the areas which I
translated earlier and it was translated automatically which means low
quality content for grammar-nazi inside me, .

I have some ideas how this could be improved, but that's actually depends
on what are you willing to do with translation process and how much effort
would be put into it.

Thanks,
Andrey Kurdyumov