cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <>
Subject RE: CDV New-Style tests, please try them out!
Date Thu, 15 May 2014 21:19:44 GMT
We are finally going to have plugin logic and tests in the same repo. Michal, you are my hero
now :)

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Michal Mocny
Sent: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 9:45 AM
To: dev
Subject: CDV New-Style tests, please try them out!

I'm fairly happy with the state of the cordova-labs "new-style" test harness these days, and
I think its time to get the ball rolling on replacing mobile spec [1].  I would really love
to have everyone pitch in moving tests over if we agree this is a good future.

Jesse and Bryan were nice enough to verify Windows Phone and BB10 (thanks, guys -- hope I
didn't break anything in last 24hrs), and I've been testing on iOS and Android (though I haven't
tried 2.3 yet).

The does a good job explaining it, so go read the TLDR; and try it out, please:

(Everything is upstream in cordova-labs, but I linked to my fork since the github mirror is

Some plugins were ported to new-style around last xmas on a cdvtest branch (device, device-motion,
geolocation, contacts, others?), but have not been kept current since then.  They are just

Next Steps:
* Create a repo for cordova-plugin-test-harness, and graduate out of cordova-labs
* Test Android 2.3
* Add a test-harness suite to CI
* Move tests one-by-one out of MS and into plugins (group effort)
* Update docs (website, wiki -- I don't see any references in cordova-docs)
* UI could use some love
* There is no way to toggle tests on/off yet.  The test-harness has a way to disable entire
plugins, but no UI for it, and jasmine has a way to filter down to a specific spec test, but
its not hooked up.

Let me know what you think.

[1]: With plugin / platform breakouts from CLI, Mobile Spec has been harder and harder to
maintain.  The MS "release" have been removed from CI because of constant version-spec mismatch
causing it to constantly be red.  Plugin Spec tests should match up with plugin versions,
which may differ across even across a single platform version, while currently specs are tied
to CLI versions which we can only usually get away with when testing tip-of-tree everything.
View raw message