cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Parashuram Narasimhan (MS OPEN TECH)" <panar...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: adding platforms to npm for dependency sanity
Date Tue, 27 May 2014 21:42:03 GMT
+1. This will also be a step towards releasing platforms independently. Will the CLI have a
semver like dependency on the platform specified somewhere ? Would the cli have to require('npm')
and do the install?

-----Original Message-----
From: brian.leroux@gmail.com [mailto:brian.leroux@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Brian LeRoux
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:20 PM
To: dev@cordova.apache.org
Subject: adding platforms to npm for dependency sanity

We've discussed this but I'm not sure the whole idea has crystalized. My proposal (based on
previous discussions) below. I'll use iOS as an example but this applies to all platforms
supported by the CLI.

First, we'd add two files:

cordova-ios
|-package.json
'-index.js

…I don't think I need to describe the utility of package.json but index.js would expose
programatic library apis:

module.exports = { create:Function, run:Function, build:Function, clean:Function, log:Function}

We then publish to npm. That is it for now. Ideal future CLI uses platforms just like other
deps. We lose lazy loading but network and disk is cheap so it wasn't really important anyhow.

Discuss!