cordova-dev mailing list archives

From "Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon)" <v-seg...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: cordova launcher icon support https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/pull/126
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 10:47:27 GMT

Thx!
Sergey
-----Original Message-----
From: Axel Nennker [mailto:ignisvulpis@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:06 PM
To: dev
Subject: Re: cordova launcher icon support https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/pull/126

Bryan,
where is this "platform element support" implemented?
It is not in
https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/blob/master/src/ConfigParser.js
right?

Regarding "cdv:platform": No this is the opposite. There are other threads in this mailing
(search for CB-2606).
To summarize those:
All proposals that included new elements like "cdv:icon" or new attributes for the icon element
"cdv:platform" did not get broad support.
All proposals related to the gap prefix or namespaces did not get broad support.
Dropping the w3c widget standard for config.xml was postponed to "later".
Hooks work but feel like a nailed on afterwards solution.

So I came up with the proposal to select the icons be the width/height attributes. This proposal
does not cover all use case e.g.: If you want different icons on different platforms then
this will not work. but it is simple

The pro side:
- standard icon sizes seem to be quite distinct per platform.
- this proposal is already implemented for Android, FirefoxOS, WP8. Sergey works on ios.
- it does not fiddle with xml stuff
- easy to implement and easy to understand by devs

It is a shame that CB-2606 is unresolved this long. We should have something rolled out soon.

-axel

> config.xml already supports a platform element for platform specific
> config
>
> Is the proposal to also add an attribute cdv:platform which serves the
> same purpose?
>

> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon) <
> v-segreb@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Have we agreed to proceed with explicit icons definition via
> > config.xml similar to PG Build[1]? -  If so I'm going to add iOS
> > support and update our docs. So we will have support of iOS,
> > Android,  FxOS, WP8 and
> Windows8.
> > Adding icons to a new platform will be easy, similar to [2]
> >
> > Some my thoughts: Adding explicit icon references to config.xml
> > looks redundant since in most cases developers will still use
> > default icon
> names
> > following platform guides so we can just proceed with predefined
> > folder ('res' as an example) and documenting folder structure and
> > icon names for different platforms. - Sort of 'merges' where we
> > replace app resources using some special logic. But it could be
> > useful if we share same image between platforms or reference the
> > same image for different needs inside single platform.
> >
> > [1]
> >
> http://docs.build.phonegap.com/en_US/3.3.0/configuring_icons_and_splas
> h.md.html#Icons%20and%20Splash%20Screens
> > [2]
> >
> https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/pull/126/files#diff-45a2a0f22289
> a5eb91348499a5053cd8R170
> >
> > Thx!