cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Lisa Seacat DeLuca <ldel...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: support on phonegap/cordova?
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2014 14:31:07 GMT
Michal +1.

1. Create a user@ group that we use to encourage users to post questions
on SO.
2. Update website to remove reference to PhoneGap Google Group and include
reference to the user@ mailing list
3. remove the IRC #phonegap reference as well

Is everyone in agreement on this?  Do we need to add an item to our
hangout agenda today to discuss further?

Lisa Seacat DeLuca
Mobile Engineer | t: +415.787.4589 | ldeluca@apache.org | |
ldeluca@us.ibm.com | lisaseacat.com | |

From:   Michal Mocny <mmocny@chromium.org>
To:     dev <dev@cordova.apache.org>
Date:   04/15/2014 09:50 AM
Subject:        Re: support on phonegap/cordova?
Sent by:        mmocny@google.com

So first: we don't *have* have to have users@ list.  This isn't about
"apache way" at all, this is in response to several user inquiries asking
for a user list to point them to.

Seems no one is looking forward to more email, but I'd be satisfied to
have
a users@ list from which we direct people over to SO, since some people
don't yet know about SO and/or expect a mailing list when they go looking.

The most important action item I think is to update the website, since
right now we only list the dev, commits, and issues mailing lists listed,
and a small note about the phonegap forum for user questions (and that was
hard to find without grep-ing).

-Michal

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 8:06 AM, Mike Billau <mike.billau@gmail.com>
wrote:

> and StackOverflow, the best medium we can use to support our users is
> StackOverflow. Joe makes great points about the benefits that
StackOverflow
> gives us that I don't see the other mediums providing. Sure the GG may
be
> searchable but not nearly as well as SO. Also, there are already a lot
of
> Cordova users helping each other out on SO (only 4 of the top 20
> "answerers" are on this list [1]) SO also will automatically switch
> "phonegap" to "cordova" tag but still allow things like "phonegap-build"
or
> "phonegap-enterprise" or whatever - nothing against phonegap, this just
> seems to be more inline with the "Apache Way" and would help Adobe
support
> find relevant issues to them while letting the the overall community
work
> on the more general support questions.
>
> If we have to have a users@, so be it, but we should make it a point to
> answer all questions there with a link to the relevant Stack Overflow
> answer. I think we should also be doing this on the google group too,
but
> I'll be the first to admit that I haven't been.
>
> Finally I know there is a lot of push back about "getting rid of /
> encouraging less use of" the google group because a lot of people use it
> and apparently get a lot of their issues fixed, however it seems like
> either the majority of the questions never get answered, or they get
> answered by a few users. We should maybe reach out to these power users
and
> explain to them the motivation behind trying to move all support off the
GG
> and into SO and encourage them to help with this transition.
>
> [1] http://stackoverflow.com/tags/cordova/topusers
>

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The reasons I prefer stack overflow to users lists are as follows:
> >
> > 1. Most of our users aren't skilled enough to get on or off of a users
> list
> > 2. Stack Overflow's structure keeps things more professional than the
> > mailing list.  Personal attacks get downvoted on SO
> > 3. Stack Overflow has better searchibility than a users list.
> >
> > If we have to have one because of the much loathed "Apache Way", so be
> > it, but I don't see it being nearly as helpful as SO.
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Andrew Grieve <agrieve@chromium.org>
> > wrote:
> > > Most Apache projects have a users@ list for this purpose. Although
SO