cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Freak Show <freaksho...@me.com>
Subject Re: Some pain points from our users :'(
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2014 20:01:48 GMT
I think they are fair, or at least were.

I have an app running on 1.2.  Its staying there. Why?

Because 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, etc....all came with some fatal problem relative to
1.2.  Some plugin or other was broken.  None of those versions offered new capabilities -
but often came with new bugs.  That's my perspective on it.  Furthermore, I wrote custom plugins
on that api.  They still work.  They are very fancy plugins.  I don't care too much that you
made "architectural improvements" - from my perspective you just moved the furniture around
- nothing pre 2.0 was actually better in any way.  Then there's the gratuitous name change
confusions that went on.  Phonegap vs Cordova changed a bunch of internal names for no really
good reason.

Even Apple was smart enough not to change all their api prefixes from NS when they bought
NextStep.  Gratuitous code breakage seemed to be the rule of the day for awhile.

K, that's ancient history but if you're feeling butt hurt about excessive changes, I would
like to point out that things looked very keystone cops from the consumer's point of view
prior to 2.0.  Furthermore all this shifting kept breaking third party plugins.

For instance 1.4-1.5
http://simonmacdonald.blogspot.com/2012/04/migrating-your-phonegap-plugins-to.html

And again when we hit 2.0
http://simonmacdonald.blogspot.com/2012/07/updates-to-plugins-for-phonegap-200.html

And one more time for 3.0
http://devgirl.org/2013/09/05/phonegap-3-0-stuff-you-should-know/

I get stuff has to progress but this:

you will need to change the path to the following two classes within the Java plugin code
for android:

1
2
import org.apache.cordova.api.CallbackContext;
import org.apache.cordova.api.CordovaPlugin;
-to-

1
2
import org.apache.cordova.CallbackContext;
import org.apache.cordova.CordovaPlugin;

This was necessary exactly - why? Its "nicer" I guess but you could have lived with the extra
level of indirection and not forced those of us who are very busy to have to run around doing
string replacement in our custom plugins.

I'm also not too fond of the introduction of not one but *two* sets of command line tools
that are supposed to make managing plugins easy.  They do the opposite.  They generally terminate
with incomprehensible errors and the barrier to writing my own plugins has gone stratospheric
compared to what I had to do in 1.2.

Furthermore...3.0 doesn't do much of anything from the developer's point of view that 1.2
didn't.  So what is with all the changes?  I'm not seeing the value.  The same plugins ship,
they do the same things, but you keep making this backwards incompatible and more and more
complicated.

Rant over.  But I felt like it needed saying.

-Todd Blanchard