cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some pain points from our users :'(
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2014 20:36:53 GMT
On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Freak Show <freakshow42@me.com> wrote:

> Because 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, etc....all came with some fatal problem relative
to 1.2.  Some plugin or other was broken.  None of those versions offered new capabilities
- but often came with new bugs.  That's my perspective on it.  Furthermore, I wrote custom
plugins on that api.  They still work.  They are very fancy plugins.  I don't care too much
that you made "architectural improvements" - from my perspective you just moved the furniture
around - nothing pre 2.0 was actually better in any way.  Then there's the gratuitous name
change confusions that went on.  Phonegap vs Cordova changed a bunch of internal names for
no really good reason.

These reasons were legal, and it was done to keep PhoneGap open
source.  If we didn't do this, we wouldn't be having this
conversation.

> Even Apple was smart enough not to change all their api prefixes from NS when they bought
NextStep.  Gratuitous code breakage seemed to be the rule of the day for awhile.

You are aware that this is an Open Source project, right?

> K, that's ancient history but if you're feeling butt hurt about excessive changes, I
would like to point out that things looked very keystone cops from the consumer's point of
view prior to 2.0.  Furthermore all this shifting kept breaking third party plugins.

We didn't have a proper API for plugins prior to 2.0.  In fact, I
would argue that our Java APIs are still not fully up to par.  That
being said, 2.0 brought the CordovaWebView feature, which allowed
Android developers to embed the view, and set the framework for our
third-party webview work that we're doing now to work around problems
with the Android WebView.  There are also the improvements to the
Javascript bridge as well.  If you don't feel that those were
improvements, there's not much more we can say about that.

> I get stuff has to progress but this:
>
> you will need to change the path to the following two classes within the Java plugin
code for android:

> 1
> 2
> import org.apache.cordova.api.CallbackContext;
> import org.apache.cordova.api.CordovaPlugin;
> -to-
>
> 1
> 2
> import org.apache.cordova.CallbackContext;
> import org.apache.cordova.CordovaPlugin;
>
> This was necessary exactly - why? Its "nicer" I guess but you could have lived with the
extra level of indirection and not forced those of us who are very busy to have to run around
doing string replacement in our custom plugins.

This wasn't necessary and I was against it.  However, since I was the
only developer against it, we ended up adopting it.  I already said "I
told you so" a year ago, you saying it again is just as helpful.

I would like to remind everyone of my favourite line the Apache
Software Licence:

7. Disclaimer of Warranty. Unless required by applicable law or agreed
to in writing, Licensor provides the Work (and each Contributor
provides its Contributions) on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR
CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied, including, without
limitation, any warranties or conditions of TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT,
MERCHANTABILITY, or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. You are solely
responsible for determining the appropriateness of using or
redistributing the Work and assume any risks associated with Your
exercise of permissions under this License.

as well as this line in the MIT licence:

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT,
TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE
SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

I think I'm just going to leave these here.