cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bowser <bows...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Nomination for a new chair for Apache Cordova
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2014 07:09:48 GMT
I think I need to go into why I don't like "The Apache Way" from the
view of the people that I actually care about, our users.  The people
who talk to me at conventions, and wonder why things are so slow,
broken and stupid.

1. All communication on the e-mail list

We've been breaking this one with Google Hangouts.  From my
understanding we can't make any decision on the Google Hangout because
that is against the Apache Way and some committer can't make the
hangout in theory.  The reality is that we have zero European
contributors and we manage to accomodate Tommy though magic of him
either being able to not sleep, or us picking a weird ass time that
screws over the East Coast.  Before we did hangouts, connect and
conference calls on a more regular basis and it was easier for us to
actually work on shit together instead of being in weird silos.

2. Bureaucracy > Community > Code

We've had numerous users complain about how we had to leave GitHub,
how hard it is to submit an issue, about API changes because of
Trademark Issues, and other issues pertaining to Apache Cordova
updates.  We've had people criticize our fix for the non-voting and
people criticize the voting.  We've basically had people criticize
everything that we've done to abide by the Apache Way because it makes
no sense.  If Community > Code actually meant something, we'd listen
to all the users we had before we donated PhoneGap to Apache and
created Cordova.  Just beacuse we're not httpd or OpenOffice doesn't
mean we don't have an active and passionate userbase that frankly
loves us and is passionate about this project far more than we ever
deserve.  We should do better to listen to them and push back against
bureaucracy that doesn't make sense.  It's not us being special
snowflakes, it's us fighting for the user!

3. Being bad at working with people and projects isn't funny

I really didn't find the SVN abandoning SVN and adopting Git funny
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-7524) because I was privy
to all the communications sent during the whole
not-voting-for-releases battle.  Everything is a big fight with
Apache, especially with people such as Jim.  The first e-mail I
remember receiving from Jim was the cced one basically telling us to
go pound sand, which is my first impression of how the Apache board
works.  Being assholes in private or public isn't funny, it's sad and
pathetic.  However, it appears to be the Apache Way, which is why I do
it on this list, albeit not nearly as hard as people do it on most of
the lists that I've seen.

I know that people don't care what anyone thinks of them, but that's a
bad attitude when you're trying to attract contributors, and when
you're trying to attract projects to the foundation.  Whether it's
hangover posts from the Git war, or other posts bemoaning the Apache
culture of RTFM when it comes to its arcane policies, this is actively
discouraging people from being involved with Apache at all, including
Apache Cordova.  I have some friends who were formerly with Apache, or
associated with the ASF that aren't because of it's toxic culture, and
it pisses me off that aspects of it continue, so yeah, I'm pretty
toxic to things that I see as toxic.  I'm not going to air all the
dirty laundry here.

Now, those are probably my main three complaints.  I already know that
there's going to be some defence about not caring what other people
think and popularity contests, and I don't view that as productive.
I'm not asking everyone to sing kumbaya, but it would be nice if the
ASF, and those trying to curry favour with the ASF, would stop
purposely trying to alienate the people who helped create this project
in the first place.  If you forwarded me an e-mail, even
unintentionally where you were abusive to myself or other people who
created this thing, I'll definitely remember that.

Now, I think I derailed this thread enough with my personal opinion.
I think Shaz should be our chair because I think he'll do a good job
at it.

Joe