cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Clelland <iclell...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] cordoav-cli@3.4.1-0.1.0, cordova-plugman@0.21.0 and cordova-ios@3.4.1
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 15:19:44 GMT
After some heated discussion here, we're pretty sure that that's the
problem with the CI, and that it's not going to work if we release it
as-is. :(

The really awful thing is that it doesn't look like it's possible to use
package.json and npm-shrinkwrap.json properly, and end up with a release
candidate that works *now*, and also works when the packages are actually
released to npm.

(If npm-shrinkwrap.json properly points to v0.21.0, then it won't install
until that gets released. If we release v0.21.0-rc1, and point shrinkwrap
to that, then it won't download 0.21.0 when we release it. And if we
release 0.21.0 on npm before the vote, and it gets voted down, then we
start burning through version numbers until the vote passes)

However, we do need to produce *something* that we can vote on, and I think
it needs to be the version that works after the packages are released, even
if it requires some hackery to test it before then.

I think the best thing that we can do in the situation is this:
  * Make CLI's npm-shrinkwrap.json point to the version that doesn't exist
yet on npm -- {"version": "0.21.0", "from": "cordova-plugman@0.21.0"}
  * Make CLI's package.json depend on any version of plugman ">=0.21.0-rc"
  * Sign and release that for a vote.
  * Everyone can download it, and just remove npm-shrinkwrap.json before
running npm-install. That should install correctly, and we can test the
tools.
  * Once it passes, we publish cli and plugman to npm with the correct
version numbers, and it will install correctly for end users.