cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Clelland <iclell...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: [Android] Refactoring for different engines
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2014 02:19:33 GMT
That's some close timing -- I just pushed my branches to github :)

I've pushed a branch at
https://github.com/clelland/cordova-crosswalk-engine/tree/fix-plugin1 that
basically covers your commit up to 158fea7, with the small tweak that I
mentioned about not re-casting to XWalkCordovaWebView when not necessary.

The other branch is
https://github.com/clelland/cordova-android/tree/pluggable_webview, and
moves the client-creation logic entirely into the webview classes.

I'm not entirely happy with it, since Cordova has had the feature that
users can override the creation of the WebViewClient and ChromeClient
themselves, in their Activity subclass, and we've lost that with my branch.
I want to re-work it to allow those methods to be used, if they exist, but
let the WebView handle creation entirely on its own if they don't.

I'll take a look at your branches in the morning; it's getting late here...
I appreciate you working with us to get this working!

Talk to you tomorrow on the hangout (some time)

Ian

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM, Hu, Ningxin <ningxin.hu@intel.com> wrote:

>  > I think that we could do this differently. I would rather see the
> functionality of CordovaActivity.makeWebViewClient and
> CordovaActivity.makeChromeClient moved into the AndroidWebView class, and
> declared as methods in the CordovaWebView interface. Then we would override
> them in XWalkCordovaWebView to do the right thing.
>
> > The extra string manipulation magic, and reflection, that this patch
> introduces, seems wrong to me. Considering that we already have methods in
> XWalkCordovaWebView to construct those objects, then we should let the
> XWalkCordovaWebView construct them.
>

> Agree with your solution. It sounds better to me. I've updated the PR to
> implement it. Please take another look.
>

> > (I do like your method of iterating over the constructors, though -- I'm
> going to try to use that code in makeWebView as well)
>

> Thanks. I've implemented it in the PR update. Please review.
>

> -ningxin

On
> Behalf
> > Of

> introduce

> > cordova
 It would be
> nice
> > if
> in
> > the

> > API to
> > API

with you to get

AM
for different engines

updates to the plugin
although there's
> still
> > the
with the Crosswalk

at all, but it should
> be

Michal Mocny
in California and way
> > busy.
excited about this,
> > though.)

PM, Joe Bowser

this, and see if/when we
> > should
the tests still, but I
> > would
merging it in.  Also, it'd
> be
could try and make a
> > WebView
and recommend which methods
> > should
released in the next month
> or
> > so,
would be greatly
> appreciated.

3:50 PM, Joe Bowser
following today to track various

created.  The licensing is
> > ugly as
a Proof-Of-Concept:

> https://github.com/infil00p/cordova-crosswalk-engine

getting plugman to just load

get this ready to go into
> > Android
and deprecate the
> setProperty
properties should be preferences
> > in

at 2:42 PM, Joe Bowser
would be additional benefits to
> this
fixes being added to that
> platform
> > more
probably take a look at that once I
> > have

2014 at 9:49 AM, Brian LeRoux
stuff

it may be possible to bring in amazon

7, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Joe Bowser

committed it in my repo, not the main
> > Apache

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Joe Bowser

just committed some code based on their
> > WebView
that allows you to choose your
the

  <preference name="webView"

/>

currently have to copy over the *.pak file
> > and
jsapi from a Crosswalk Example project to
> > get
to work.  The next thing that I'm going
> > do
out how to write this as a plugin and
> > have it
on a default
right now the bridge doesn't seem to
> > work, and
don't know why exactly.  That being said,
> the
I can choose which version of
> > Chrome/Chromium
running with
XML preference is HUGE.

definitely a lot more work that needs
> > to be
but as
we have something that we can fit into the
we should
to put in things like GeckoView or other
> > third
nightmare of being stuck with bullshit
> > WebView
may soon be over.

Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Michal Mocny

va

-an

droi

First patch they landed, which claims to have
> > min

viable xwalk

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 11:37 PM, Michal Mocny

<mmocny@chromium.org

I haven't looked yet, but did you see:

> [...]
va

-an

droi

?

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 10:20 PM, Andrew
> > Grieve <

First - very excited that you're working on
> > this!

Had a quick look. Not sure there's much to
> be

Once

in on hooking up x-walk's webview I think
> it
> > will

become more

the interface should look like. E.g., does
> > x-walk

even have the
of

ChromeClient vs WebViewClient vs WebView?
> > Also

unsure whether the

should extend android.View as well as
> > implement

our

alternative is to have a "getView()" method
> > on

cut down on file sizes, and API surface,
> but

again, I'm not too

I've been pretty hesitant to touch existing

exposed members

public fields you were referring to) since

touching anything

break plugins. That said, maybe now is a

to @deprecate

of

them and either replace them with getters,
> or

declare them

exposed to plugins.

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 6:57 PM, Joe Bowser

<bowserj@gmail.com>