cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Higgins <br...@bryanhiggins.net>
Subject Re: cordova launcher icon support https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/pull/126
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 11:03:48 GMT
OK, great. I saw cdv:platform within the pull request [1] so I wanted to
confirm that wasn't the direction that was decided on.

The platform element [2] has been in for a while. There was a discussion
about it on the list a few weeks ago. It's being used to prevent config
from being copied into the platform config.xml files.

BlackBerry10 supports the widget icon element in its platform config.xml
file. With the change as it is right now, it will actually break the build
process because it won't find those icons.

Recommended sizes are 114x114 and 94x94, but the platform will accept other
sizes and picks the best icon based on the device. So I suppose the correct
thing to do is copy only those sizes if specified, otherwise copy the
closest match. The rest of the entries need to be filtered out.

I'll try to get something up later today.

[1] https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/pull/126/files
[2]
https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/commit/45e80ac1b2c73a18155e74ac286067a4299742d8#diff-6e0c580ec9d220fc4b32a0ffd9b41595R151

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 5:06 AM, Axel Nennker <ignisvulpis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bryan,
> where is this "platform element support" implemented?
> It is not in
> https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/blob/master/src/ConfigParser.js
> right?
>
> Regarding "cdv:platform": No this is the opposite. There are other threads
> in this mailing (search for CB-2606).
> To summarize those:
> All proposals that included new elements like "cdv:icon" or new attributes
> for the icon element "cdv:platform" did not get broad support.
> All proposals related to the gap prefix or namespaces did not get broad
> support.
> Dropping the w3c widget standard for config.xml was postponed to "later".
> Hooks work but feel like a nailed on afterwards solution.
>
> So I came up with the proposal to select the icons be the width/height
> attributes. This proposal does not cover all use case e.g.: If you want
> different icons on different platforms then this will not work. but it is
> simple
>
> The pro side:
> - standard icon sizes seem to be quite distinct per platform.
> - this proposal is already implemented for Android, FirefoxOS, WP8. Sergey
> works on ios.
> - it does not fiddle with xml stuff
> - easy to implement and easy to understand by devs
>
> It is a shame that CB-2606 is unresolved this long. We should have
> something rolled out soon.
>
> -axel

> > config.xml already supports a platform element for platform specific
> config
> >
> > Is the proposal to also add an attribute cdv:platform which serves the
> same
> > purpose?
> >

> > On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Sergey Grebnov (Akvelon) <
> > v-segreb@microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Have we agreed to proceed with explicit icons definition via config.xml
> > > similar to PG Build[1]? -  If so I'm going to add iOS support and
> update
> > > our docs. So we will have support of iOS, Android,  FxOS, WP8 and
> > Windows8.
> > > Adding icons to a new platform will be easy, similar to [2]
> > >
> > > Some my thoughts: Adding explicit icon references to config.xml looks
> > > redundant since in most cases developers will still use default icon
> > names
> > > following platform guides so we can just proceed with predefined folder
> > > ('res' as an example) and documenting folder structure and icon names
> for
> > > different platforms. - Sort of 'merges' where we replace app resources
> > > using some special logic. But it could be useful if we share same image
> > > between platforms or reference the same image for different needs
> [...]
to parse

> width
> > > > > > > >
> http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.h

> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/styleguide/products/firefox-os/i
> > > > > > > >
> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/styleguide/products/firefox-os/i

If

> ignisvulpis@gmail.com
> > >:

> cordova

> long.

> >:

> [2]

> http://docs.build.phonegap.com/en_US/3.1.0/configuring_basics.md.htm
> > > > > > > >

> https://github.com/phonegap/phonegap-start/blob/master/www/config.xm

removing the
> > namespace.

since that's

attributes that

Nennker <

gap I am quite sure I

I am OK with
> ditching
> > > it.
such things?
namespaces then,
> right?

namespaces breaking

the phonegap  way
> with

Grieve" <

PM, Brian LeRoux

'widget spec' impl in use
confusion. Def want
> config
mappings.

at 12:24 PM, Axel Nennker <

does not use "id". Don't
> know

spec/test-config.xml

to discuss the sense of xml
current template config.xml
implementation I do not want to
namespace and would not

makes the property seem
kind of attribute to
> > me.
default template to not
the default namespace if
but I really feel
don't think that most
> devs
you changing the gap:

the phonegap example

"

/>

to don't parse the icon file
need icons for their app on all
all of them in all polished
puts icons without
regardless of width/height.
you suggest when both lines
width="48"
by your suggestion <icon
cdv:density="mdpi"
drawable-mdpi too

density says the same
> thing
make size="mdpi" an

know what is the
way is to specify
> densities.

"size" because that is not w3c

GMT+01:00 Andrew Grieve <

to move this along. Would like to

in this PR is to add tags like:

id="icon" src="icon.png" />
id="logo" src="logo.png" width="255"
src="logo-android.png" width="255"
cdv:density="mdpi" />

for?
"cdv:platform" is fine, but we
I'd be fine to drop xmlns="
there are any platforms that
would be better than width=
if you don't specify a size? Do
This might be nice as a follow-up,
for the first cut.
seems redundant with respect to
> > > size.
mdpi, so the size can be used to

10, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Andrew
> Grieve
thanks for spearheading this. Will

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:07 AM, Axel
> Nennker

comments to the current implementation?

> https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli/pull/1

commented that the new class in
named "Icon" but I left it as is because
was another comment that namespaces
> in
think that we should use the cordava
if