cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Michal Mocny <mmo...@chromium.org>
Subject Re: Just saying Hi
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2014 17:43:25 GMT
On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 1:18 PM, Max Lynch <max@drifty.com> wrote:

> Yep, we fixed the weather demo: https://github.com/driftyco/ionic-weather
>
> For the cli tool, I definitely agree it's not optimal. The reason we went
> with it is we are going to have backend services and tools that require
> authentication (similar to PhoneGap Build I believe), so I wasn't sure how
> to get that custom behavior without building a wrapper tool. Things like
> "ionic build" which farms out a build for iOS and Android on our build
> server instead of needing to have a Mac, for example.

This makes sense.  Sounds like sticking to a CLI will be the least
confusing for your users.  But if you could make a clean separation between
using these features, and just the framework, that would be awesome for
many of us who really do want to use your stuff.

> In terms of the cordova cli changes, I think --from-git would be very
> helpful. What would the expected form of the repo be? Just the www assets,
> or a whole project shell? The former I think is easier to deal with when it
> comes to different Cordova versions.

The former.  Format is exactly as the target format for
--link-to/--copy-from: a folder containing www/ merges/ and config.xml (but
not platforms/ and plugins/).

Note: I'm not sure that we import the config.xml correctly today (seems we
don't import app name/description), but we can fix that.

> I definitely think a yeoman generator would be helpful and it's something
> we've been looking into recently, but I'm not knowledgable enough in it yet
> to know how we are going to use it, but my dream is to have the ability to
> quickly add new "pages" to a project, or some UI specific scaffold.

Cool. We are in a similar situation, but have found that the community has
just built great generators for us as soon as we made it obvious what
should be generated.