cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: About cordova js
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2014 19:49:36 GMT
So, this is a huge refactor, but its also a step in the right direction. In
order for this to mainline though we need everyone to buy into the
approach.

- Simplified code (just less of it in general too)
- Not maintaining our own module loader
- Enables npm dep workflows instead of inventing our own
- No double load or script injection
- Simplified plugin authoring (no weird clobbers logic in plugin.xml / just
use vanilla JS to achieve this)
- Optimized builds per platform (only build what a platform needs instead
of the kitchen sink)
- Future path to killing off cordova-js repo

What we need to make this happen

- Backwards compat: existing core plugins must work (thus must be tested)
- Tested on all platforms for 4.x release
- Well documented for new plugin authors (and migrating)

We need your feedback and concerns / once this starts rolling things will
break and we'll need to work together

(And big thanks Anis for taking this path to get us to this point)