cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Brian LeRoux...@brian.io>
Subject Re: Nomination for a new chair for Apache Cordova
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2014 02:36:53 GMT
Coming from Joe's perspective this is year 6 of the source code now known
as Cordova. Jim and others have as much merit in our world as we clearly do
in theirs. It is not uncalled for and very obvious where the sentiment
comes from. Members of the board care deeply about Apache and we care
deeply about Cordova. Finding a respectful and productive balance would be
nice though clearly this is not mandatory.

Anyhow, the very concept of PMC was always intended to be no different than
committer in Cordova. This was understood and acknowledged during
incubation. Despite the language of meritocracy there's a hierarchical
pyramid at Apache (Contributor->Committer->PMC->Member) and we very
deliberately chose to incorporate Committer and PMC Member at the same
time.

If you are good enough to land a patch you are good enough to be involved
in the releasing of it. We have always intended to continue with a flat
structure though given recent board "help" with releasing I could see this
changing too.

Simply put, ideally there is zero barrier to contribute and ship. Anything
that gets in the way of contribution and releasing is inviting higher
chance of project failure. Some of the Apache rules are build up of old
policy that has become meaningless ceremony. We need to get better at
acknowledging that for what it is and fixing Apache. (Another example would
be eradicating the harmful concepts in meritocracy.)

But back at Jim's comment: yes I very much do believe Shaz lives up the
conveniently vague term "The Apache Way" as I understand it [1] but please
do check the facts.

[1] http://brian.io/slides/codemania-2014/#/16