cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Nomination for a new chair for Apache Cordova
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:04:53 GMT
On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Joe Bowser <bowserj@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's actually insane that you can't quit until the meeting.  You can
> normally resign a post by writing a resignation letter in most places.
> Why is this?

Brian could resign, but that would leave a vacancy until the Board passes a
resolution appointing a new Chair.  It's possible for the Board to act outside
of the monthly meeting, it's just a pain.  (See below for gory details
excerpted from the Foundation's bylaws.)

I speculate that making it non-trivial for the Board to change project VPs was
done by design, but I don't know that for sure.

Marvin Humphrey

    http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws#5.12

    Section 5.12. Action Without a Meeting.

    Any action required or permitted to be taken at a meeting of the Board of
    Directors or of any committee thereof may be taken without a meeting if
    all the members of the board or committee, as the case may be, consent
    thereto in writing, and such writing is filed with the minutes of the
    proceedings of the board or committee. Such consent shall have the same
    effect as a unanimous vote.

    http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws#6.4

    Section 6.4. Election and Term.

    The officers of the corporation and the members of each existing Project
    Management Committee shall be appointed by the Board of Directors or
    appointed by an officer empowered by the Board to make such appointment.
    Such appointment by the Board of Directors may be made at any regular
    or special meeting of the Board...