cordova-dev mailing list archives

From Gorkem Ercan <gorkem.er...@gmail.com>
Subject engines and plugins on config.xml
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 15:58:10 GMT
Hi,
I would like to propose a couple of enhancements to the top level
config.xml that would enable us to recreate a project easily.

(Note: the examples below assumes a cdv namespace on config.xml)

1. engines tag :

<cdv:engine id="org.apache.cordova.android" version="3.5.1" />
<cdv:engine id="org.apache.cordova.ios" version="3.7.0" />

CLI could use this tag the reconstruct the platforms hence the platforms
folder would really become a build artifact. I believe phonegap and the
JBoss IDE is already using a similiar thing on the .cordova/config.json

2. plugins

<feature name="Console" cdv:id="org.apache.cordova.core.console"
cdv:version="0.2.8">
           <param name="ios-package" value="ConsolePlugin" />
</feature>

Alternately

<feature name="Console">
     <param name="id" value="org.apache.cordova.core.console" />
    <param name="version" value="0.2.8" />
     <param name="ios-package" value="ConsolePlugin" />
</feature>

This is reutilizing the existing feature tag. ID is the only missing piece
of information for CLI to reinstall the plugins to a project is the plugin
id and version. This would also eliminate the need to share plugins folder
with the Cordova projects. The plugins folder can still be utilized for
plugins that were not available from plugin registry. Also if the id is
missing on a feature tag CLI would skip restoring that plugin for the
project.

On top of this I am volunteering myself to do the work. I guess it will
require a good amount of changes to CLI prepare.

---
Gorkem